We discussed in the forums the possibility of having random generated maps where the rock in UG was replaced with earth (so you can dig in Underground, something you can't do in random maps now). It turns out it IS possible to do this - PawelS explained how, and Merkraad has made a small mod change. So it's now possible to do this with the MP 1.4 mod!
Manually place the zip file in 'Age of Wonders Shadow Magic/User/resources' and unzip here. The zip file will create a sub-folder called "MP 1.4 rocks off" and install the resource files here.
To make rocks into dig able earth:
1) Make a RMG map with the normal MP 1.4 mod. Save this map at turn 1 (either from start or using autosave at end, up to you)
2) Close the game, change mod to MP 1.4 rocks off using AoWSMSetup.exe, and re-launch the game.
3) Reload the saved map and play on. All rock in UG will be replaced by earth and will be fully dig able. Enjoy!
Many thanks to PawelS for the instructions about how to make the change!!!
PS: This procedure to replace Rock with dig able Earth can be made for any Mod. Below are instructions on how to do this, according to PawelS. We went with option 1, since option 2 makes it impossible to edit the mod after it is done.
I just made some tests, and it is possible to change rock to earth on random maps using a mod. The mod would have the Rock "isometric hexagon" in Hidden Tiles -> Hexagons changed to earth. (The isometric hexagons are the ones that are in the lower part of the "palette", below most roads and bridges.) You can't copy and paste the earth hexagon, you have to edit the existing
1. Double-click on the rock isometric hexagon
2. Change the terrain from rock to earth
3. To change the visuals, click on "Edit Images" and replace all images with
the same ones that the earth hexagon has.
To avoid the "incompatible resources" message, the resource id of the mod must be the same as of the mod used to generate the map. You can do one of the following:
1. Copy an existing mod (resource set) by copying its entire folder in User\Resources, leave Mod 1 unchanged, and change the rock hexagon to earth in Mod 2 (Merkraad clarification: i.e. copy the Mod folder to another folder and rename it slightly different)
2. If you want to use the normal game to generate maps, use the program downloadable from my website (http://www.pawels.neostrada.pl/download/ahr_val.zip) to change the resource ID of your mod to 0 (you won't be able to edit it after this change).
To play on a random map with earth changed to rock you have to generate the map using the normal game (or Mod 1), save on turn 1, switch mods, and reload the game. It's a bit complicated to do in online games, but there is no other way to do it that I know of.