This is something I've been working on for quite a while right now. I got the idea for the campaign and especially this first scenario after playing BNW 3.2 for the first time (it was after the release of my last map when I noticed by the comments there was actually BNW 3.2 out and I only had played 3.0 before :O) since BNW 3.2 imho has the most elaborate morphing system and I felt there was a lot of great potential wasted of this awesome mechanic in normal maps (especially with the quite powerful Heroes it's just way too easy vs the AI). So I decided to make a map where you would start with a fixed set of units and have to fight your way through enemies with increasing strength without or with very limited possibilities to get reinforcements. That way in order to survive one would have to systematicly morph the right units into higher tiers.
Later I also got some nice ideas and wizard and hero images for a story and decided to go for a larger project with 4 maps combined into a single campaign. This file so far only includes the first of the maps (the others will be added via file update when they are finished; I'm currently working on the 2nd one, which is at maybe some 30-40%). I decided to release it now since I wasn't sure when the complete campaign would be finished and there probably wouldn't be much interest in it anymore once aowIII is out.
I will spare you the story-spoilers, here are however some hints regarding this first map of the campaign:
- the chosen difficulty will have an huge impact. while beginner and easy are both pretty much the same and meant to be a challenge for more unexperienced players, normal is already pretty tough with hard being almost unbeatable without redoing battles a lot (so in this case it's more like a challenge to see how far you can get)
- whenever you are unsure where to go (especially during one of the "hot" pursuit phases) save the game to avoid unneccessary frustration (with the last update should be less of a problem)
- if you are victorious make a save game so you can easily continue with the 2nd campaign map once it is released.
I hope no one of you is disappointed I didn't spoiler any story here - I just feel like this description is already getting long enough without any of that ;)
Any remarks and suggestions are as usual welcome and apreciated!
- now includes a placeholder for the 2nd scenario to keep the game from crashing on victory/defeat
- Flindor now bears a "magical" map that can be dropped and picked up again to get a hint on the direction you need to go; you can do this as often as you want or need (there are several "checkpoints" used in the scripts, so it should actually help quite a lot)
- map made easier on easy/beginner
- this includes slightly slower chasing parties and a number of additional unit join events
- second map of the campaign added
- third map now is a placeholder (I can't say if I will ever finish the 3rd and 4th map of this campaign though :/)