You need to have the unofficial patch 1.4 installed before installing this mod. The installer creates a shortcut on your desktop (leading to the AoW1 Mod.exe file located in the directory where you installed AoWSM), run it to launch the mod. It doesn't interfere with any other mods, and works regardless of the resources and language that you have selected in the setup.
You can use this mod to play the specifically designed scenario's in single- or multiplayer. For now, the editor, the campaign, Random map Generator, and maps made for standard AoW-SM are not working.
The following forum thread contains information about the mod, use it if you have any questions or suggestions:
* Ability to play the original AoW1 maps (the campaigns and user-made maps will be added later)
* New units, and changes to the existing ones
* Descriptions of new units written by the AoW community members
* Buildings and units that you can produce are limited according to the city size
* Slower city growth
* Revival of the AoW1 races, including the Lizardmen
* Original AoW1 heroes and items
* Classless hero system
* Got rid of the annoying Domain of Darkness spell ;)
* Classic AoW1 music and intro movie
* spell icons on colored backgrounds
(Insert Rating analysis here)
Now I have played some games on my own map using this mod and it really looks and feels great.
Some things are not perfect in this mod but all in all it´s such a great mod that giving less than 4.7-4.9 would be unfair.
It is only possible to give 4.5 or 5.0 here, so I decide to give a full 5.0 here...
And when The Groll (always finding and see some things you could make better) gives a full 5.0 it could really be a great product. :)
What I like:
+ Units! PawelS really put in some great looking units but what is more important is the feeling he implement when he decides what abilities this units should have.
Every unit feels so real and so alive in this mod. Unit descriptions.
+ The AoW I feeling and the old AoW I unit feeling.
+ Reduced range for wizard towers. I often pray someone will change this.
+ Recolored Spell icons. After a while I like and later loved them. This is only a small change maybe but all this lovely things make this mod very nice.
+ The future support promises by PawelS.
I don´t have the feeling that this mod is dead after it release.
+ In most cases the building time for city structures and units. I like big maps and when you have big maps you can produce lv4 units much to early. This is changed in this mod.
What I don´t like:
- Spell casting points are by far to much reduced for most spells.
Often it is possible to wipe out big units or whole armies only with spell magic and it becomes even unfair. Bad and boring when you can use so much CPs to wipe our your opponent so easy.
- Restrictions for mapmakers: Less terrain stuff. Even when AoW I should be recreated it does not feel good to make a map for this mao with the reduced terrain stuff.
- Sometimes the setup for income structures.
- Some other things like the "crying steam tank" sound for example but this are only nitpicking things.
- Dragons and the possibility to summon them to easy.
I could go on and find more + & - but...
Download and play this mod to get you own impression!